Sunday, September 22, 2013

The tape shape game

A rainy day was upon us on Saturday and a new babysitter was on her way over. I remember seeing a genius idea on Pinterest that involved painters tape and decided today was the day to try it out. I grabbed the roll of blue tape and started making shapes all over the living room and playroom carpet. With Matt out of town at a basketball tournament since early in the morning, I knew I wouldn't get the normal Pinterest eye roll that I typically get when I experiment with a Pinterest idea. Amy quickly yelled "let's play Momma!" when I finished taping the eight shapes to the carpet. She even reminded me that I forgot to put a diamond down so I had to find another spot on the carpet to put a diamond. (What a smartie pants!) We played the game a couple of times with me shouting out a shape and Amy running around the house standing on the shape. She even got her hexagon and pentagon right! When the babysitter got there, it wasn't like we don't have other games to play, but this was a good icebreaker. Diana and I were off on our Coastal Cleanup effort and Amy sat with the new babysitter with a big smile on her face. Mission accomplished.
When Diana and I returned from the pouring down rain outside, Amy and her new friend had played nearly every game in the house, completed puzzles and even played the tape shape game a couple of more times. Score one for Mommy! It's Sunday now and as I head to bed, the only shape that's not still on the ground is the hexagon. Amy tried to tear up the rectangle a couple of times but she put it back together once I glared at her. Every once in a while today she yelled "Mommy, let's play the shape game!" I gladly obliged. When I put her to bed tonight and asked her what the best part of her day was she said "Staying at home and playing with you!" Melted heart. See? All you need is a little tape to make a 4-year-old's day!

1 comment:

"V" said...

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on your fun family activities!