Thursday, August 18, 2011

First day of first!


There are new routines to adjust to on the first day of school. We have to get up a little earlier, there's more of a sense of urgency as the morning progresses and the to-do list is a little longer.
On Wednesday, Diana started first grade. She's been ready to go back to school for a while and, frankly, so have I. Unfortunately, even though she's excited, she still has no sense of urgency.
Diana woke up around 6:15 and got dressed right away (just like I told her was going to have to happen). I made breakfast and then got Amy going around 7. The little one is getting up about 30-45 minutes earlier than normal which sucks for her. Amy likes to chill in her crib for a while before greeting the family. She did well Wednesday though.
At the breakfast table, I had to remind Diana four times that we are not in talkative, summer, goof-off-at-the-table mode anymore. It's all business baby!
I admit to having a little anxiety on Wednesday but I wanted to make sure we got out of the house on time. Anticipating the traffic at school was at the forefront of my mind as well.
Once breakfast was over, Diana brushed her teeth and hair and put her shoes on. Once the clock struck 8, we were out the door and drove the 1 minute and 30 seconds down the street to school.
NEVER AGAIN.
So much traffic, so many people. I know it was the first day of school and all, but I had to park way down the street from school - it was nearly the equivalent of being at my house. What a waste of time.
There I was, pushing Amy in the stroller, lugging two reams of copy paper, a box of Kleenex and my purse with the camera in it. Meanwhile, Diana has a backpack that the crossing guard says makes her look like a turtle because it's so big. It's filled with supplies and she's carrying her lunch. We looked ridiculous but as I looked around at other families, we fit right in!
Diana was the first one in line and I didn't speak but two words to her the rest of the time. Once her teacher came out to greet the class, she went with her, put her backpack away and sat on the carpet. The teacher told the students to say "Hasta Luego" to the parents (remember, she's in Spanish Immersion) and Diana was still staring at the teacher as if to say "Yea, can we just start learning now?"



She finally turned around, waved and we left. I got a little misty eyed but I think it was more hurt feelings because my baby wouldn't say bye. Whatev, D! Momma doesn't forget! :)

3 comments:

Michelle MGD said...

Big girls!!!!! Amy cracks me up as usual and Diana makes me misty eyed. What a big confident girl. Love her. And love you! Well done, momma!

"V" said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
"V" said...

Great picture of the girls - they will treasure it when they are grown! Cute tradition with the sign - see how many grades you can get her to do that!!!