Saturday, April 21, 2012

We're going to the Huki Lau

I have to be more in touch with my family so over the next month, my goal is to blog, blog and then blog some more. We have a lot going on and yet, I never write about it. So sad because I am, in fact, a writer. And I do take pictures to document everything we do. Today, the adventure for Diana and me was an Island Girls She and Me event run by another Girl Scout Troop in our Service Unit. It was, of course, Hawaiian theme and lots of fun. It was nice to be indoors, too, considering the temperature is nearing 95 degrees...it's April right? Diana and I got in our best Hawaiian themed outfits and headed over to the event. There was great food, games, crafts, raffle prizes and a dessert contest. Of course, I part took in the dessert contest. The rules were to use a tropical fruit. I took the easy way out and made Pineapple "D"-Lite Cupcakes (The "D" is for Diana). I started making them Saturday morning after breakfast (cupcakes are always freshest when eaten the day they are made, right?). But as the oven was preheating and I had the batter in the cake tins, the power went out. I waited 20 minutes, texted my neighbor to see if it was just us or the neighborhood, and then decided to head over to Grandma V's. I piled the girls in the car, grabbed all my supplies and drove into Fairfield. I baked and frosted the cupcakes, took a shower and got ready for the event at V's and then headed back to Vacaville. By mid-party, I was pooped. There was so much party left to be had though! I sucked it up, decorated a frame and watched Diana get a feather put in her hair. Then the results for the dessert contest were announced - four categories and I walked away with nothing. Granted there were about 50 desserts so my chances were slim. I must say though, that I was disappointed to see my cupcakes completely in tact though when I went to get a dessert. The judges hadn't even sampled mine! Technically, I was never in the running! I even went all out and put Girl Scout decor on them. They were awesome! When Diana and I left the party, I took my cupcakes and passed some out to the other moms I know who had family at home. I brought some home for the "real" judge...Matt.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.