Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Countdown to Oct. 26

I don't write much about myself on this blog. It's not that there isn't much going on in my life...I just think that Matt and Diana's lives are a lot more interesting.
But today, I decide to write about me and a goal that I have set. Actually, it's a goal that I set with my sister, Michelle.
We have decided to run a half marathon in October in Folsom. She ran it last year and though she looked like she wanted to die afterwards, said it was an awesome accomplishment. I agree with her. Having watched my crazy dad do the Ironman over and over and over again, I have to admit feeling a little admiration and curiousity for different competitions he did. I did the triathlon thing (three times) before getting preggers with Diana so I have fulfilled that curiousity. I did some 5Ks, a 10K and Bay to Breakers. I don't think I could ever train for a half marathon on my own though. I mean, I never thought of doing one before, at least.
But when my sister said she was going to do it again, I thought, why not? We did a 5K in Vacaville a while back and it was fun. We have very different running strategies so we hardly ran together but it will be fun to push each other for the next four months (albeit from several cities apart).
I have to run 3 miles, three days a week during July to get into long distance running shape. Then on Aug. 5 I start training for the big race. I downloaded a running trainer program from Hal Higdon's web site and it's pretty awesome. I highly recommend (well, wait, I will recommend after the race)...
I am pretty excited about it now, but we'll see where I stand at the end of this week. :)

3 comments:

Michelle MGD said...

This is the ultimate in sisterly bonding! I'm glad we can share this together.

Orshi said...

wow, thats awesome... good luck!

Amy Collins said...

That is great...I am a long ways from running anything. I wish you luck with your training.