Tuesday, February 10, 2009

One of 'those' girls

There was a girl in my freshman biology class in high school whose sister got pregnant. I think she was a senior.
She claims that she didn't know she was pregnant because her periods were always irregular. Me being the naive 14-year-old that I was I thought that was crazy.
How do you not know you are pregnant? Doesn't your body go through all kinds of changes when you get pregnant? There's a person inside you for crying out loud.
Well, over the next dozen or so years, I heard many of these tales of this so-called "I didn't know I was pregnant" crap-ola.
I recently became one of these girls. Yes, I am pregnant and didn't know it.
Ever since going off birth control in October (after my half marathon) my periods were irregular...OK, you know what, let's skip the details.
That pregnancy test I took in January after I missed my December period was wrong. I was, in fact, pregnant. Today, I am 10 weeks.
Our baby is due Sept. 8, 2009.
It's all a little surreal right now and we're very focused on this very thrilling basketball season.
When I can start shopping for maternity clothes, I think that's when it will sink in. Right now, the baby is making me hungry all the time. I haven't had any nausea so far...which is great. And I am really trying to stick to eating healthy for the next 7 months.
We have a lot of work to do around the house. The new baby is going to share this very office so we have to convert my scrapbook table into a scrapbooking "area" that won't take up a lot of space. It's going to require some trip to Lowe's and some big time help from Grandpa D and Grandma V.
Diana doesn't fully understand that she's gonna be a big sister, but when we asked her tonight what was in Mommy's tummy she said "a baby." That was pretty cool.
I mentioned to her that getting a little brother or sister would mean she would have someone to share her toys with and play with...she wasn't too thrilled of the idea of sharing her toys. I gotta remember to steer clear of that in the next 7 months.

:)

7 comments:

Michelle MGD said...

September can't come soon enough! I am looking forward to seeing that baby belly again. Take care of yourself every day! You should tell diana that I am your sister and she will have a sister or brother just like you have au bob and matt has debbie and bonnie. That is another reason you should find out what you are having, so you can prepare diana. And because I am impatient. Love ya sister!!!!!!

Mama Parker said...

I KNEW IT! CONGRATULATIONS! How exciting and so much fun! Yay for feeling good and no nausea. ;) Keep updating!!

Unknown said...

Congrats sister-in-law! i haven't had a chance to tell you that yet. Also, a question...is Doc Brown your maternity doctor? Cause you said Diana would be getting a big brother or sister...I'm just saying, I don'tknow where you've been hiding your Delorean =)

Lisa said...

I am so overly happy for you guys! You know what that means? We were probably concieving around the same time! Christmas time is such a snuggle time. :) I did have a very large girl walk into the ER complaining of a stomach ache that "just kept coming every 5 minutes and gas pains." They worked her up for appendicitis, food poisoning, and an ulcer before they did a blood test for HCG. That came back saying she was in her 3rd trimester! That's when we got her on our unit, examined her and she was 7 CM. Shortest pregancy ever! She was a teacher to boot! I'll never understand it but it does happen. Congrats again!

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I can't believe that you actually became one of those, "I didn't know I was pregnant" dorks. At least it was only for the first couple of months, not the whole pregnancy.

Michelle MGD said...

Christmas time is such a snuggle time. :

You crack me up Lisa. hahahaha.

Orshi said...

Yaay for you! Congrats again, I can't wait to see your tummy and meet you second baby.