Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What's that smell?

I know what happens to my body when I am pregnant..funny things. I ate and ate and ate some more today. I just never lost that hungry feeling...it was horrible and good at the same time. I ran out of snacks and had to resort to eating the Saltines that my boss gave me a couple weeks ago when I told her that I was pregnant (super nice gesture by the way).
The smell thing started soon after I found out I was pregnant. I was walking over to get tea with a co-worker and as we walked into the common area, there were a ton of people getting coffee, etc. Right as we walked in, I stopped and said "someone has eggs." I am not a big fan of the smell of hard boiled eggs anyway, but this was the strongest hard-boiled egg smell I had ever smelled.
I looked around and sure enough on the counter was a tiny thing of Tupperware with hard-boiled eggs in it. It was closed up so it wasn't like the smell was lurking all over the place. Now, that's some pregnancy nose for ya!
It happened again tonight when I picked Diana up from preschool. KinderCare just has this smell to it. My mom has always noticed it more than I have...though I have noticed it and just grown accustomed to it. I noticed it immediately today when I picked her up this afternoon. There were some other kids in the way so I couldn't really bend down and hug her right away, but I got close enough to get a whiff of the KinderCare smell. I wish I could've rushed her home and tossed her in the bath tub and scrubbed her clean right there and then, but we had dance class. It wasn't until 2 hours later that I had the chance to get that stench off her. And trust me...when she got done, I smelled the clean smell for a while.

3 comments:

Orshi said...

oh yes, the smell aversions, i don't miss those.

Mama Parker said...

I never experienced that and I don't envy you right now. Eggs smell disgusting, pregnant or not!!

What does KinderCare smell like? Not that you want to revisit the smell right now. Is it just like a disinfected, plastic smell? Cause that's how I imagine it! ;

I hope I didn't make you lose your cookies!!

Heather said...

Oh, yes, the wonderful sense of smell during pregnancy. You would think that since you are already fighting off nausea, the sense of smell would decrease to help you. But no! It increases as a some sort of pregnancy cruel joke. The worst for me was mushrooms on pizza, and we had a work event w/ pizza. I hadn't told anyone when the CFO came over and sat down with a piece of mushroom pizza. I almost threw up all over her. Still can't stand that smell, over 3 years later.