Monday, July 20, 2009

Oops..Suprise!

I didn't want to find out the sex of the baby until the day the baby arrived. I don't like taking advantage of modern technology, I love surprises and it's just more fun to find out when the baby actually comes. There's really nothing you can do to prepare if you know the sex in advance. OK, so you go out and buy girl clothes (all pink) or boy clothes (all sports and dinosaurs). But then later on, you find out that the baby doesn't fit into any of them because they are either a) too small; b) too big. We didn't find out what Diana was when she was born and it was the best surprise ever.
Matt wanted to find out from Day one with this baby. I was vehemently opposed and since he was unable to come to the ultrasounds, it was my decision. A couple weeks ago, my perinatologist breathed a sigh of relief when I told her just before she placed the monitor on my belly that we didn't want to know the sex.
"Oh, you have to tell me these things!" We both laughed.
One week, and I'm sure thousands of patients later, she forgot.
As she was looking at the ultrasound, she casually said "She's asleep."
HUH? WHAT?
"Uh, what did you say?" I asked.
"Oh my gosh, you didn't want to know did you?" she said as she looked over at me with a look of horror on her face.
"It's a girl?" I nearly screamed.
"Yeah," she said quietly.
"Oh my god, I can't believe we are having another girl!"
Tears start streaming down my face and I look over at Matt (hmmm, ironic that he made it to this appointment) and he's crying too.
"That's OK," he said. "In the back of her mind, she really wanted to know."
Well, no I didn't, but I did need a big smile and a nice surprise after all I have been through in the last two weeks (well, after all that WE have been through in the last two weeks) and this was definitely a good surprise.
So, a girl. More pink and purple and princesses. So exciting!
The first person we told was Diana and she and Gramma V went back to Babies R Us and purchased about five pink outfits for the baby and a pink and purple butterfly lamp for the room. No, the room is not pink and purple butterfly theme (far from it actually) but Diana just HAD to have it. Diana and her sister also have matching Big Sister, Little Sister t-shirts.
Geez, I hope my doctor was right.

5 comments:

Michelle MGD said...

Best surprise ever!!!! I am still digesting the news of another little girl joining the family. I am overjoyed and thrilled. Big sister, little sister...just like us!!!

I hope this exciting news makes the next few weeks easier to cope with, knowing that your second daughter (!!!!) is growing inside of you. I love ya sister!!!

Mama Parker said...

AWWW! I just read this on Michelle's blog. CONGRATS!! I wonder if my sister's doc will slip up. HAHA! Sister are the best! Yay for you and family and D!

Orshi said...

Yaay another girl! COngrats!

Lindsay said...

Congrats Ang!!! Can't wait to hear Au Bob give all the updates and show all the pictures of little sister. Sometimes I forget Diana isn't my own niece since I know her so well from Au Bob's stories. :) Anywhoodles, thoguhts, prayers, and hugs to you as you bring this baby into the world!!! Can't wait to hear allllll about her!!! :)

robertsfamof5 said...

Thats a great story.