Saturday, October 24, 2009

Milestones

There are a few major milestones in the first four years of a child's life - walking, talking, getting potty trained, the first day of preschool/daycare. Though every day is a new adventure in a toddler's life and thus very rewarding for parents, the big ones are the ones that stand out and leave lasting impressions.
Over the last couple weeks, reading has been this major accomplishment in Miss D's life. Tonight, she finished the last book in the first group of her "I Can Read" series that Gramma V bought her. She breezed right through it.
When I was playing basketball growing up, my mom always said that she was proud for me--not proud of me. She explained to me that I should be proud of myself and that she was excited for me. I tried to understand this theory for the longest time and it never sunk in until this week. I am so proud for Diana because reading is such a huge accomplishment and she's done it with such ease. It's come so natural for her. I am excited for her because of all the fun that comes with reading. Her imagination is going to grow, she's going to learn about new places and things and really start to expand her vocabulary.
On Friday, Matt took Miss D to McDonald's for breakfast before school and there was a sign in the restaurant. Matt asked Diana to read it and she instantly said "Wet Floor." It was great!
I have probably been blogging a lot about the adventures in reading of Miss D, but to me, this is one of the biggest accomplishments of her young life so far!

3 comments:

"V" said...

Need another series of "I Can Read?" Let me know! As you know, books are always on the OK to buy list!

Michelle MGD said...

That is so awesome!!! I am also proud for Diana. She has always loved books and I'm glad she is able to enjoy them!

And mom, what is NOT on the ok to buy list?? :)

Orshi said...

Yaay Miss D! We are very proud for her too!