Saturday, September 20, 2014

We love to sew and give!

We got to combine the best of two worlds the other day when we presented four homemade baby blankets to KinderCare, Diana and Amy's former daycare, as a thanks for the years of care they provided to our family. I sat down and taught Diana to sew (not that I am some great seamstress, but I can get away with the basics) not long ago and she proceeded to make her first blanket. I ran the idea by the girls that we should make some blankets for the baby room at KinderCare because I wanted to show my gratitude to them. The girls really liked the idea and I thought it would be a fun project the three of us could do together. I took the girls to the fabric store and they picked out the colors they wanted for two "boy" blankets and two "girl" blankets. They did a great job of picking out some cute, bright colored fabric. Once the fabric was washed and ready, Amy helped me pin the pieces of material together. Then, we let Diana at the sewing machine. I was amazed at how quickly she picked it up. She wasn't intimidated or scared (which I was when I first bought this machine three years ago). She also didn't get frustrated, which I definitely do with this machine on a regular basis. She's as natural behind the sewing machine as I am on the treadmill. :) It took us a couple of weeks to finish all the blankets, but we finally knocked two out in one afternoon on a weekend and delivered them to KinderCare this past Wednesday. The center director, who we have known for many years, and the staff in the baby room were thrilled. Some of the walking babies even came over to see the blankets when we hand-delivered them. This was such a great thing for my girls to be part of. I love teaching them about helping other people and thinking of others before ourselves and they have been very receptive. I am very lucky. I completely forgot to take a picture of the blankets...I can't believe it. But they are very cute and just the start of many wonderful things my girls are going to do behind the sewing machine!

No comments: