Thursday, June 12, 2008

A Walking Oxymoron

When I want ice cream, there's not much anyone can do to stop me from fulfilling that need. The only person really that has control over that is me--"I'm really too lazy to get off the couch to go to the store and get some" is the usual response but every now and then, I will throw in "I really shouldn't because I haven't run all week."
So, last night, I decided I would take advantage of the warm evening, some new songs on my iPod and the fact that I was already dressed for exercise. I laced up my sneaks, grabbed a $10 bill from the "chapel" (you have to have been to my house to know what that means) and headed out the door.
It's not a long walk to Baskin-Robbins, about a half mile--maybe less. So I walked with a rapid pace to get my heart rate up. I got there, got my two-for-$8 pints and headed back with the ice cream in a bag. Why is it so strange to see someone walking down the street with a Baskin-Robbins bag in their hand?
Does it defeat the purpose of exercising if I am carrying ice cream in my hand? Maybe. It's obvious though that I am fit. Sure, I am no Carrie Underwood, but I am not Rosie O'Donnell either.
I am walking down the street, headed back home, listening to my iPod, minding my own business, but I do notice that people in their cars are looking at me a little strange. It's not like I care. I am the last person who cares what other people think when it comes to me and ice cream, but c'mon! This is a free country. This is why America is great! I can walk down the street and get ice cream anytime I want! There are people in Iraq fighting for my right to do this. I love this place!
Stare at me all you want, but you just drove your car to Baskin-Robbins when you could've walked and at least gotten some exercise out of it!

No comments: