Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Conflicting Reports

Diana has been sick - again - for the last week or so. Just a bad cough...her spirits are the same as usual. Her mood has never really been affected by being sick. She just goes about her day and coughs when she needs to.
But she's had a cough for a little over a week and yesterday at school her temperature got over 100 degrees. I didn't have to pick her up or anything, but we called Kaiser to get their opinion on the matter. They said not to worry.
We have never liked to give Diana any medication because I believe it weakens your immune system. I don't take medicine when I am sick, I just drink a lot of water and green tea. Seems to do the trick.
Then these reports came out a while back saying that you shouldn't give your kid under 8 cold medicine because it doesn't really work and there could be side effects anyway. Well, that did it for me. No more medicine.
But then Diana develops these two white patches on her tongue the other day. Now, I am a little concerned. I am taking her to the doctor today. What started out as a regular cold could now be strep. So, do I freak out and assume it's strep everytime she gets a cough? I don't want to be freak-out parent, but I do want a healthy child. I realize her going to Kindercare is going to produce more colds, but strep? That's a whole new story.
I will keep you updated.

No comments: