Monday, June 29, 2009

A new chapter

We all go through different stages in our lives. We’re one person when we are in high school; college usually brings out another person and then adult life usually changes us a couple more times.
I have been through many stages in my life – from a girl in high school who was a total jock to someone who slowly realized throughout college that basketball wasn’t the end all be all.
Becoming a mother changed me completely – for the good, of course. I never knew that I could love someone so much yet go through so many emotions on so many different levels every day.
A couple weeks ago, I had the opportunity to attend a party for someone who I have known for a very long time. She was a very influential person in my life and someone who was even more obsessed with basketball as I was.
Recently, she decided to become a mother. She can’t have kids herself so she and her significant other are having a baby boy thanks to a surrogate.
After seeing her at this party, I noticed a huge change in her attitude. I hadn’t seen her in a couple years because our schedules conflicted and we just couldn’t get together. In that time, she’s become a totally different person who is thrilled with this new direction in her life.
She was always a career-focused woman, though having kids was something she always wanted. Now that it’s happening, she’s beaming with excitement – more than she ever did even after the best basketball game.
It was fun to just sit back at this party and watch her practically float around the room, mingling with friends and family. For the first time in the 15 years that I have known her, I looked at her as a friend – not a mentor.
I am supremely happy for my friend as she ventures into this new chapter in her life and know that she is going to cherish and enjoy every minute with her son.

2 comments:

Michelle MGD said...

That is so great for your friend!! I'm sure she will be a great mom.

Lindsay said...

That's a nice tribute to your friend! :)