Sunday, November 29, 2009

Party Pooper

When Diana came home from school one day last week, she came home with an envelope with the words "Princess Diana Borchert" written on the front. Curious, I thought.
I opened it to find an invitation to a princess-themed birthday party for a girl who used to be in her same class at school. The girl has since moved to another classroom, but I think they play together every now and again when the classes join together.
Diana was obviously very excited and carried it around the house the rest of the night telling us which of her princess dresses she was going to wear to the party.
Sunday came and I finally got around to calling the mom to RSVP to the party. (I am way old-fashioned that way).
The mom informs me that this is a kid-only party (no parents allowed) because the little girl's grandmother has terminal cancer and can't have a lot of people around. The mom is videotaping the party as a keepsake for the little girl so she has something to remember her grandmother by.
Well, I don't know these people. I was flattered that they invited Diana but I can't send my four-year-old to someone's house that we don't know. Who knows if they are telling the truth about this grandmother? What kind of food are they going to serve my kid when I am not there?
The mom explained that she understood if we didn't want to send Diana to a stranger's house. Damn straight. I wish this would have been explained in the invite so we didn't get Diana's hopes up.
My plan was to explain about the party to Diana when she brought it up later in the week.
Well, she brought it up tonight. I explained to her about the parents not being able to be there and she said "Well, I guess I will just have to go by myself." She said it in the most serious voice ever. I said "Well, not quite D. I will talk to Daddy."
There's no way D can go to this party. I hate to be the party pooper but being a good mommy is way more important.

3 comments:

"V" said...

Maybe this will help her get over not going to the party. An invitation to the Suisun City Christmas celebration, including the lighted boat parade, a chance to wear her Princess dress and sit on Santa's lap!! As a bonus, an overnight stay in beautiful downtown Suisun overlooking the harbor! Let me know.

Michelle MGD said...

I kept thinking about this more and more last night and just felt so strange about the whole thing. I hope Diana doesn't take the news about the party too hard. But I think you can turn this into a teachable moment about how parents have to keep their kids safe and how she is too young to go to a party by herself although someday, she will be able to, just not now.

Mama Parker said...

Good mommy instincts! Sounds kinda weird to me. Hopefully Diana didn't talk it too bad. There will be plenty of other parties.