Friday, February 15, 2008

Never Assume Anything


I have been doing this Mommy thing for a while now - 2 1/2 years. And I think I am pretty good at it. But everyday is a learning experience because there's something new that Diana does everyday. It's all fun and exciting.
Last night, we went out to dinner to my favorite Italian restaurant across the street. It's the perfect little family restaurant with great New York ambiance! Whenever we order pizza, I insist we get it from there because it's New York style and just awesome! We rarely order dinner from there and we don't usually go and sit down. Honestly, whenever we order pizza, Matt buys it so I have no idea how much it costs.
When Diana and I got there, a 15-year-old maitre'd (who may have been the manager because he was dressed in a nice shirt and pants) brought us to our table. He gave us our menus and walked away. He never said one word to us, not even a "Happy Valentine's Day."
When I saw him walk away, I just assumed he was going to get a high-chair for Diana. No such luck. I turned around to see where he was and I couldn't find him. The high-chairs were right behind me so I grabbed one and set it up. Thanks, kid.
As I glanced at the menu to order something for Diana, I noticed that the kid's menu only included pasta (four different varieties of spaghetti with a different sauce). I looked at the price and was floored-$6.95! It didn't include a drink or desert or fruit or a veggie. Just six little ravioli rounds. Are you kidding? I tried to find something on the menu, maybe a small personal pizza that was cheaper but the cheapest pizza was $19.99.
I ordered her the cheese ravioli and sulked. Luckily, she inhaled it. I also ordered her a milk. Did I need to mention to the waitress that a kid's size milk would suffice?
She brought back a red, paper Coke cup that was 16 oz.
"Um,do you have something smaller than this for kids?" I asked.
"No, that's the smallest cup we have," she replied. She sounded surprised that I asked. "I didn't put milk in it all the way though."
Gee, thanks.
I explained to Diana that the big cup was all she was getting and she was going to have to make do. Of course, she was fine.
As I looked around the restaurant I noticed that every single table was filled with families and more than half had a 2-year-old with them.
I have learned a lot because Diana and I go out to eat together quite a bit. There are staples that I guess I need to bring because I shouldn't assume that every kids meal is going to come with a small cup, some veggies and/or fruit and a sensible meal.
Therefore, I vow to always come prepared from now on with: a sippy cup (they make these take and toss ones with Princesses on them. I will make sure to stock up), some fruit (Luckily, we have a stash of those Dole fruit cups in the cubboard), a small fork and spoon (even though Diana does fine with a big one), wipes (Diana goes through paper napkins like diapers) and a desert item suitable for a toddler (a Gerber cookie).These are things that I brought when she was a little kid and nothing they had in the restaurant was good enough for a baby. Now she can pretty much take what they give her at restaurants that cater more to families so I just never thought about having to bring stuff like this.
This will make the dining out experience so much more enjoyable.

No comments: