Sunday, April 17, 2011

The kitchen is being kind to me

There's been a lot of cooking and baking happening in my life in the last six months. I'm pretty willing to try anything because I truly believe that cooking and baking is just a test of how well someone can follow directions. It's also a test of my patience. When I don't have kids hanging on me, I am much better in the kitchen. So when the girls are down for naps, that's when I attempt to be a master chef.
The last couple meals I have attempted for dinner were a huge success. Friday night I made chicken apple pizza. I knew the girls wouldn't eat it so half the pizza was reserved for cheese only.
Here's the recipe, which I got from "Something Extra" the Raley's magazine.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Melt 1 tbsp. butter in large non-stick skillet. Add 1 peeled and thinly sliced apple and 1 halved and sliced onion (I used a white onion); cook and stir for 10 minutes. Place thin crust pizza on a large baking sheet or pizza pan and top with 1 1/2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese and apple mixture. top with thinly sliced chicken apple sausage (I used two for half the pizza) and bake 10-12 minutes or lightly browned on edges.
Makes 4 servings.

On Saturday, I made zucchini cakes. The part that took longest was the prep of the zucchini and other veggies. This was a huge hit with Matt who today called it "the best thing" I've ever made. WOW! This recipe, I believe also taken from Something Extra, made about 10 cakes. I don't know what else to serve them with. I will do some research. It was all I had for dinner because I saved room for an ice cream sandwich for dessert.
Here's the recipe:

3 c. coarsley grated zucchini
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. fresh breadcrumbs (from a baguette)
1 egg
2 green onions, thinly sliced (I used three)
1/4 c. diced red bell pepper (I used a little more than this)
1 1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tbl. mayo or plain yogurt
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tbl. vegetable oil, for frying
1 tsp. butter

1. Place grated zucchini in a colander; sprinkle lightly with salt and let stand 30 minutes. Press with paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible. Zucchini should be fairly dry; and you should have about 2 cups. Place zucchini and remaining ingredients (except oil and butter) in a bowl. Mix well. Form into 8 pattied the size of crab cakes. Chill.
2. Heat oil and butter in a skillet.
3. Add patties to skillet and cook on both sides until browned. Drain on paper towel.
Serves 4.
**Place day old baguette in food processor and pulse until fine crumbs are formed.
**For a quick sauce, mix some chopped fresh herbs (chives, dill) and lemon juice into mayo. I used 2 tbl. mayo, 1 tsp. dill weed, 1 tsp. lemon juice and it was fantastic for the two of us.

Enjoy!!

P.S. I am not like those cooking bloggers who can take pictures while they cook. Someday, I might be able to. Until now, you'll have to use your imagination!

1 comment:

Michelle MGD said...

Good job chef Ang! I also don't know how people take pictures as they cook. I have tried it a few times but always get distracted by something boiling or burning!