Sunday, September 21, 2008

An out of town date night

I was so excited when Orshi asked me last week if Matt and I wanted to go to the Stanford-San Jose State football game. I immediately said yes and then when she said it was AT Stanford, it was a double yes. Matt said that he would like to go as well and when Orshi found tickets for only 10 bucks on StubHub...well, we couldn't pass on the opportunity.
I was pretty excited all day but got even more excited as we got closer to campus about an hour before kickoff. There were thousands of people in the parking lot (er, tree groves) at Stanford tailgaiting and having a great time. It was an atmosphere I have not experienced much.
See, I have never been to a college football game, technically. When I played basketball at Solano, we worked Cal football games as security. While I did get to work the USC section one night and hear the two fight songs ALL DAY LONG, it's just the same as cheering and really getting in to the whole atmosphere. Plus, I didn't really have an appreciation for college sports like I do now.
So, seeing the tailgaiting and hearing Orshi yell at her fellow San Jose State rowdies out the window of my car made the experience of attending my first "real" college football game so exciting.
I could go into details about the whole game, but there's no need. The student section was packed, I got to hear some of the Stanford fight song throughout the night (they were on the opposite side of the stadium from us), I learned how bad San Jose State people really do HATE Stanford from the alums sitting behind us and I got to see a Stanford come-from-behind win (much to the chagrin of my husband and friends). It was an awesome day!
Go Cardinal!

1 comment:

Orshi said...

I'm glad you came. It was a fun day, even though we lost, it was great to share it with you. Next year we will win, but until then I will let you bask in the glory of Stanford winning. :)