Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Patience really is a virtue

The only thing I remember about being 3 years old is my sister being born. I don't remember anything else. But I can only imagine that it wasn't all fun times.
I love my Diana - more than anything. I love her laugh, I love her smile. I love that she talks my ear off whenever we are in the same room or in the car together. I love that out of the blue, she calls me "Maimey" sometimes...I don't know why, but it's cute, so I let her do it.
I love that before she gets out of her bath at night, she takes one of her little people (her fishies, her little guy she calls Diego, or her Flounder squirt toy), puts one of them in a cup with water, covers them up with a wash cloth and says good night to them. And that in the morning, when she goes to the bathroom, she says good morning to them.
I love that when she gets tired at night and has some M&Ms for a special treat, she is absolutely bonkers and so funny. I love that she talks to herself in bed at night for 90 minutes before she finally falls asleep.
I love that she is so sweet and innocent one minute and the next minute she's wreaking havoc on my nerves.
It all comes with the territory. I can let it get to me, or I can have patience and just remember that the good times we have together far outweigh the trying times.
Diana is super independent. My mom says "This is what you wanted..." And she's right (aren't all our moms right?). This is what I wanted when I was pregnant with her. Diana doesn't understand how we can give her all this love and all these physical things like toys and books, etc. and still have to say no to some things and set limits.
It's hard on all of us.
The word I keep telling myself is patience. As long as I have patience with her and every situation, we do OK. We were patient when she waited a while to talk, when she waited a while to walk and when she waited a while to go pee pee in the toilet and we will be patient with every other situation that comes up in her life for the rest of time.
She's worth it!

4 comments:

Michelle MGD said...

You and Matt are doing an amazing job. Keep it up! Someday, she will ask you for motherly advice and you can tell her about Patience!

Orshi said...

i'll need some advice, I am the least impatient person and I hope i can learn some for baby's sake.

Amy Collins said...

Parenting can be so tricky, I still wonder if I make all the right choices for the kids. You are doing a great job!

Mama Parker said...

Aww! How sweet. Yes, patience...I tell myself that everyday. :)