Sunday, May 22, 2011

Diana tri(es)!

About a month ago, I got an email from A Change of Pace Foundation, a non-profit group in Davis which puts on a lot of foot races in Northern California, advertising a kids triathlon - the Positive Energy Kids Triathlon. I've seen this before on their website, but never gave it much thought.
With Diana in such great shape right now, I thought it was something we could "tri" (no pun intended). They offer a parent-child division so I thought it would be a great starting point. Diana, at first, was hesitant, then I told her that she could pick out where we eat lunch afterward and she was on board.
The week before the race it was raining here so training was nearly impossible. When the sun did come out, I got Diana on her bike and we rode to the park and around the neighborhood. I took her swimming in the local pool a couple times to get her some practice with the kickboard, which she was allowed to use in the pool at the race.

The day of the race came and once we arrived on scene, she was excited. Here are some images from the race, courtesy of Au Bob. I must thank my family for coming out to be cheerleaders. Diana continues in a long-line of triathletes and even if this is her first and last triathlon, I was super proud of her for finishing and working real hard today!

Diana getting bodymarked. Grandpa D thought this was hilarious!






The girls with their game faces on!



Diana gettin' her kick on!



Diana needed a little extra help up the last hill on the bike portion of the race. The entire bike course was a little more hilly than we expected.



We're almost done, girl!



This photo is a little blurry, but it's my favorite! We did it!



Everyone (including me) got a finishers medal. Five hours after her race, Diana is still wearing hers!

1 comment:

"V" said...

Great experience - all about fun!