Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fiesta Forever

Diana had her chance in the limelight at this weekend's Fiesta Days celebration - she joined several of her classmates in the parade on Saturday. They sat on a float to promote their school's Spanish Immersion program. I absolutely love this program. The teachers are great, the parents are great and we love that Diana is doing so well in school while learning another language. She's becoming such a well-rounded individual and that's what we want for our kids.

We were especially proud of our kids this Saturday because the kids were asked to get to the meeting spot one hour prior to the start of the parade. Our float didn't step off into the parade route until 30 minutes after the official start of the parade. The kids sat around in the cold and wind, never had to pee (which surprised us all) and never complained once. Truly amazing! When the parade started, they waved, blowed bubbles, proudly wore their sombreros and represented their school and program with pride!

Matt, Amy and I walked alongside the floats (well, Amy was pushed in the jogger) and had a great time as well. I proudly carried the Mexican flag with another mom.
The highlight of the parade though was my dad jumping out of the crowd to get a super closeup of Diana in the float. One of the moms asked me if he knew one of the kids and I said "Oh yea, that's my dad." She just laughed.

Here's Diana with her crew of girls before the parade - Shae, Natalie, Elizabeth and Delaney.



Diana and her friends waiting patiently before the parade.



Diana practicing her parade wave.



Diana and some of the girls posed with the pink fire truck.



This program is so much fun. It's exactly the type of community atmosphere that I wanted for my family in elementary school. For anyone who is on the fence about doing Spanish or Dual Immersion, I say jump on over. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!