Sunday, May 29, 2011

The tradition continues

I had reservations about entering Amy into the Fiesta Days Annual Diaper Derby. Diana did the race twice, taking first place the second time. But it's crazy. It's like a beauty pagaent for athletes. It's not super organized like a Borchert function would be so that's a big set back for us as well.
But my family is always giving me a hard time about not treating the second child equally. The Diaper Derby was my chance to allow Amy to do something that Diana did even though I don't look forward to it.
Matt wasn't thrilled that we were going to have to get to the Derby site right as the Indy 500 was starting. Too bad, I told him. This is the only year that Amy is doing the Derby so suck it up. The Indy 500 is like 4 hours long or something anyway.
We arrived at the site, signed Amy up, put her in her official Derby t-shirt and practiced around the gym with her. She ran from one wall to the middle of the court upon our yelling "go!" One mom commented "She's ready." Yes, Amy is always ready to run.
Around the time the crawlers were starting their race, Amy was getting a little tired of running from the wall to the middle of the court so I took her outside to get some fresh air. Grandpa D showed up and we chatted for a while. But before I knew it, Matt comes running outside yelling "It's time! C'mon!!"
I scooped Amy up and we ran inside. I gave Amy to Matt, he lined up on the starting line and I ran to the finish line.
I started looking around for my family - I found Au Bob, but my mom and Diana weren't there yet. They were going to miss it. Oh well, there was no time to cry.
There were about 15 kids in Amy's heat so there were an equal amount of parents, grandparents and siblings on the receiving end. I squeezed my way down to the floor, much to the chagrin of some of the grandparents and parents, and waited for Amy to start.
The lady in charge decided to split the group up into two heats. Matt yells down "We are going to go second!" I nod my head. My mom later suggested that Matt scoped out the competition to see where Amy would have the best chance of winning. And so what if he did?
The first heat went and the lady in charge wasted no time in getting the second heat up on the starting line. I barely had time to make eye contact with Amy before she was sprinting from Matt's arms, across the gym floor, to the finish line and into my arms. She won, and it wasn't close. (My dad has pictures to prove it and Matt has it on video.) The girl took off at the first sound of "GO!" and with a huge smile on her face.

I scooped Amy up, the Fiesta Days princesses came over to confirm that we, er, Amy did in fact win her heat. I was way more excited than Amy, she just looked very confused. I think she wanted to keep running.
We took Amy over to get her trophy and headed home. I was beaming. I have two Diaper Derby winners. When we got home, we took a picture with the girls with their first place trophies. Classic!
If Amy could give an acceptance speech, here's what she would say; "I would like to thank my sister, Diana, for all the nights running around the living room. I never thought that all that running would actually pay off, I just had a fun time chasing you and thinking I was 5."

2 comments:

Michelle MGD said...

Go Amy!!!!

"V" said...

Great acceptance speech!